|Fires of the Apocalypse|
|English||Fires of the Apocalypse|
|Release||February 23, 2013|
|Running Time||23 Minutes|
|20. Cold Sunlight||22. Tokyo|
Fires of the Apocalypse (劫火 Gōka) is the twenty-first episode of the Shin Sekai Yori anime series. It first aired in Japan on February 23, 2013.
- Saki and Niimi, her coworker, decide to head to the Temple of Purity, as Kaburagi declares war on the Monster Rats, promising to eliminate them from Japan. However, a Fiend suddenly approaches, killing many humans as it comes to confront Kaburagi. Saki sees the Fiend and is shocked by its resemblance to Maria. Satoru appears and tells Saki and Niimi that they have to leave as soon as possible, since even Kaburagi cannot kill a Fiend. Though Kaburagi manages to evade the Fiend's first attack, she kills him. Saki and the others run, confronting a Monster Rat along the way who tells them that the Monster Rat race will now be the new rulers, and that their "Messiah", the Fiend, was sent from the heavens to save them. They kill the Rat, and Niimi tells them he must leave them and go to the Town Hall.
- Saki and Satoru make it to the Temple of Purity, where they learn that Saki's parents have already been there and plan to release the remaining Impure Cats upon the Fiend. They also meet up with Inui, who tells them about his group's failed mission to dispose of the Robber Fly colony and his first encounter with the Fiend. When he made it back to the village alone following his group's death, he found the hospital burned down and all the human infants stolen. It is then that Saki realizes that Yakomaru killed Maria and Mamoru, took their child, and raised it to become a Fiend. He plans to do the same with the stolen infants, creating an army of Fiends that will wipe the humans off the face of the Earth and bring rise to a Monster Rat empire.
- First appearance of the fiend.
- Death of Shisei Kaburagi.
- Deaths of Saki's parents, Takashi Sugiura and Mizuho Watanabe.
References & Citations
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.